Saturday, April 19, 2014

Religious phrase comments on AtheistNexus.org article

Here are some interesting comments about religious language on AtheistNexus.org concerning a discussion about Neil Degrasse Tyson saying that "Cosmos" will not give equal time to creationists:


Reply by k.h. ky on Wednesday
@James l tend to use 'Amen' when I strongly agree with someone too. I can't seem to find another word that conveys the same meaning as well.
▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by Patricia on Wednesday

Right on!
Hear, hear!
Well said!
▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by James M. Martin on Thursday

Could it be force of habit from a religious upbringing. I donno, I tend to use an awful lot of religious expressions. For example, why surprised, I still say "My God!" and when wishing or hoping, "I pray...." And so forth. Brought up as a Plymouth Brethren, a very fundamentalist sect in England, the late poet, mountain climber, occultist, &c., Aleister Crowley, so hated his use of such expressions that he took a razor blade to his forearms when he used them. I myself set out to rid myself of smoking but not by cutting my flesh, a bit drastic; no, I affixed a rubber band to my forearm and when I offended, I simply pulled it back almost to breaking and let go. Once the sting subsided I realized I really didn't need that "nicotine delivery device" after all.

▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by Patricia on Thursday

I never use the term pray unless being sarcastic, but in my language, gawd, jeezuzz make good swear words.
▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by sk8eycat on Thursday

S'funny; my JW sister is the one who says "Ghod-dammit" whenever something annoys her the least little bit.
I say "blast!"  Or "drat," or if it's something really horrible (like another effing quake), "Ohhhhhh, shit."
You notice I even say "effiing" instead of the actual "F-word."
I don't know why...except it was something Heinlein wrote that the use of the usual 4-letter words display a lack of imagination.  I'm trying ....
▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by Patricia on Thursday

I actually don't swear very often......my usual these days is ......"Oh for cryin' out loud!" Some real strong language, that......hahaha!!!
▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by k.h. ky 9 hours ago
@James, force of habit is doubtful for me. Even when I claimed religion l disliked the terms they used. Especially calling other church members Brother Smith or Sister Jones. And the over the top praying. Don't even get me started on the 'foot washings' that only the men were allowed to attend. Thank whoevers god l want.
 I was a doubter from early childhood.

▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by Michael Penn 8 hours ago

Foot washing never made any sense to me, and neither did that "brother and sister" crap. Where did they get this and where were they told to do this? Where did the buybull say "now you are all brother and sister?" Maybe it's a throwback to everyone being one family.
In my early church days I saw engraved in the back of church pews the words "do this in remberence of me." That would tend to make kids want to carve on the backs of church pews.
▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by sk8eycat 6 hours ago

One of the silliest stories in the NT is the one where a woman washes Jeebus' dirty feet, and then dries them with her hair.  Hair does NOT absorb water.  Didn't she have a shawl, or something?  Like a hair dryer?
Makes you wonder what those drivel-writers were thinking of, and what world they lived in.
Romans of that era had their servants wash guests' feet before they reclined for dinner, but they were then given warm sockies to wear during dinner.  MUCH more practical.








Reply by Idaho Spud 2 hours ago

Felaine, I didn't know that hair does not absorb water, but drying jebus' feet with her hair always seemed overboard to me.  Like she was a super worshiper and brown-noser.  It seemed very impractical unless she had extremely long hair.
▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by Patricia 4 hours ago

I was told the morons were supposed to be a family, therefore the brother/sister thing. I found that when someone called me sister after being babtyzd at age 9, I didn't like it. Seeds of my doubts were already sown before that time as well & nothing stopped the progression.
▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by Idaho Spud 2 hours ago

I didn't care for the brother/sister labels either.  I don't think I ever used them.  Even after quitting the church and having my name taken off their records, I had a couple of people call me brother.  Weird.
▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by Patricia 2 hours ago

Even the word ''brother'' in front of Richard's name on here bothers me a little.....& at the time, it alone made me hesitate about joining AN.
▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by Joan Denoo 2 hours ago

Have you ever told him about your reaction? I wonder if he knows? Surely he would like to receive feedback.
 Permalink Reply by Michael Penn 1 hour ago

That's because of his religious background, Patricia. Just Google Richard Haynes and read all about it.
 Permalink Reply by Patricia 33 minutes ago

No Joan, I just figure my reaction is my own issue, & never thought of saying anything.
On the other hand, lots of us have religious backgrounds, & want to shed all association with any of the words. Non-relative brother/sister terms always make me think moronism, or cult-ism.
▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by sk8eycat 7 minutes ago

JWs call each other "brother and sister," too.  My real sister has been one of that cult for about 45 years...I think it's icky.








http://www.atheistnexus.org/forum/topics/neil-degrasse-tyson-on-why-cosmos-will-not-be-accompanied-by?xg_source=activity&id=2182797%3ATopic%3A2402125&page=5#comments








Dear Readers,


Yeah, I have to agree with the above comments. The whole "brother" and "sister" language that religious people use can kind of get really annoying. Some of my religious friends jokingly refer to me as "Sister Williams". Sk8ey Cat's JW sister uses the phrase " Goddamn it". The little blasphemer! My mother would never use that say that. I almost never use that expression and I'm a atheist.  Isn't that somewhat bizarre? LOL. Religious phrases can be hard to shake off when their so embedded into our language.






Sincerely,


B.W.





No comments:

Post a Comment