Thursday, April 17, 2014

A mention of some postive biblical stories

Dear Readers,




Despite being an atheist and a cultural secular Jew by choice. I don't call the Torah or the Christian Bible the "Good Book". There is a lot of violence and hatred in the Torah. There are some positive stories, but they are in the minority I'm afraid. Did you know the character of Ruth in the Book of Ruth was a Moabite and the Moabites were considered to be the pagan enemies of the Jews. However with Ruth due to her undying concern and love for her mother-in-law Naomi after the death of Ruth's husband, brother-in-law and father in-law, she decides to go live with her mother-in-law to her homeland and  embrace Judaism without undergoing an official conversion ceremony. Ruth tells Naomi " Where you go I go, I go. Where you live, I live. Your God will be my God. Your people will be my people. Where you die, I will die and where you are buried, that where I also shall be buried".  This a true representation of family values, if you ask me.  The story of the Good Samaritan as told by Rabbi Yeshua is another or the example of the Egyptian Princess saving baby Moses from certain death and Queen Esther for saving the Jews from Haman who wants to destroy them all. These are some of the Biblical stories that I like even as an atheistic Jew.

No comments:

Post a Comment