Saturday, August 16, 2014

Article on AtheistNexus.org about a Christian singer who came out as a lesbian and offered an open criticism of Scott Lively







 





Atheist Nexus













Xtian music star - now out Lesbian - rips Scott Lively a new one
Posted by Sentient Biped on August 15, 2014 at 10:37pm in LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
Back to LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends Discussions
.




This is strange in many ways, and delightful at some levels.
 
A few days ago, Christian music star (apparently - I've never heard of her) Vicky Beeching, came out of the closet as gay.  (I know, not politically correct, but that's her term here, not mine).  In her interview, as a celibate, singing-nun-esque Lesbian, but still Lesbian.
 
Then all of a sudden there's this interview with arch-evil global hate-monger obsessed antigay former druggie Scott Lively.
 
What a naive woman - she thought the US was more open minded than the UK!
 
Anyway, it's a somewhat surreal, sometimes creepy, sometimes fun interview.  Kind of like chocolate covered wasabi chips.
 
Tags: Christianity is whatever people want it to be, Scott Lively, christian love



 Like 

.
Share Twitter

  

 

Views: 66
..



Replies to This Discussion
 Permalink Reply by Sentient Biped 2 hours ago

What caught my interest here is a devout christian, apparently famous and with a loyal following, is now outspoken, strong, forceful, and standing up against hatred. We often say, where are the moderate christisns who stand up to the extremists. Here is one who did it, savvy, smart, passinate.
 Permalink Reply by Grinning Cat 1 hour ago

It's great to see her speaking out!
Nontheists don't have a monopoly on morality! :-)
 Permalink Reply by Grinning Cat 1 hour ago

Scott Lively is an unvarnished, extremist purveyor of hate, who's facing trial for crimes against humanity for encouraging government-backed anti-gay persecution in Uganda, and helping instigate Uganda's "kill the gays" bill.
("The Case Against Scott Lively", Center for Constitutional Rights' 15-page booklet with many questions and answers) (The complaint filed against him, which a federal judge refused to dismiss)
Why did this "news" program give him any airtime?
Another of his departures from reality in the interview: "You keep referring to psychology rather than spirituality. I think that's your problem."
 Permalink Reply by The Flying Atheist 1 hour ago

Thank you so much for the update on Scott Lively.  I didn't know until now that an actual suit has been filed against him.  I've heard the talk about it, but didn't know it had actually begun.  I hope he gets broiled over the coals.
 Permalink Reply by Loren Miller 49 minutes ago

For the first time, a federal US judge has ruled a persecution of LGBT people is a crime against humanity.
-- from the gaystarnews.com article

Jaw.  Hits.  Floor!  Thank you so much for posting that, GC!  That is some of THE BEST NEWS I've seen in a month of Sundays!  I hope Lively takes it on the chin!

                
http://www.atheistnexus.org/group/gayatheists/forum/topics/xtian-music-star-now-out-lesbian-rips-scott-lively-a-new-one?commentId=2182797%3AComment%3A2460690&xg_source=activity&groupId=2182797%3AGroup%3A31277







 









Xtian music star - now out Lesbian - rips Scott Lively a new one
Posted by Sentient Biped on August 15, 2014 at 10:37pm in LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
Back to LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends Discussions
.




This is strange in many ways, and delightful at some levels.
 
A few days ago, Christian music star (apparently - I've never heard of her) Vicky Beeching, came out of the closet as gay.  (I know, not politically correct, but that's her term here, not mine).  In her interview, as a celibate, singing-nun-esque Lesbian, but still Lesbian.
 
Then all of a sudden there's this interview with arch-evil global hate-monger obsessed antigay former druggie Scott Lively.
 
What a naive woman - she thought the US was more open minded than the UK!
 
Anyway, it's a somewhat surreal, sometimes creepy, sometimes fun interview.  Kind of like chocolate covered wasabi chips.
 
Tags: Christianity is whatever people want it to be, Scott Lively, christian love



 Like 

.
Share Twitter

  

 

Views: 65
..



Replies to This Discussion
 Permalink Reply by The Flying Atheist 12 hours ago


Stupid, weird and untrue things that Scott Lively says:
◾"There's no such thing as a gay person.  It's an identity that you adopt."
◾"True science and biblical theology are perfectly consistent."
◾"Don't you care what God thinks!"
◾"No I didn't."  When asked if he helped the Ugandan government draft an anti-homosexuality law that  includes the death penalty.
◾"I have many ex-gay friends."


I don't want to enforce stereotypes, but when I look at him and hear him speak, to me my gaydar is telling me that he looks and sounds like a bitter, old queen.  What a mess!
 Permalink Reply by James M. Martin 3 hours ago

I don't think it is politially incorrect to call a homosexual woman "gay." Were you thinking that the thought police want you to say the L word? Men and woman are both gay if they are homosexual. I used to object to use of the word gay. It seemed to me it was wrong to take a perfectly good word for "happy" and forever make its use in traditional ways awkward. (Of course, the argument could be made that punsters could use "gay" in traditional ways with a subtext of queer, which incidentally is the word I prefer for all the sexual minorities.
Yes, I know the homophobic history of "queer" but in the dictionary it also means "different," and that is what I am: different. It's like saying heterosexual, homosexual, or "other." I am not fond of the alphabet soup of "lgbt.") But both women and men can be "gay." To me "gay" means a man or a woman who, exclusively, likes other men or women respectively. Just that. During the 60s, when Stonewall prompted all sorts of coming out "manifestos" one Carl Wittman wrote a piece, I think in Fag Rag, to the effect that it was not politically correct to come out saying you were "bisexual." Why not, i wondered, if that is what you are. Wittman's argument was that it was "a cop out" since it was rather like saying to a straight "I may be gay but I also sleep with [women/men]." Fortunately, we are beyond such immature polemics.
 Permalink Reply by Susan Stanko 3 hours ago

That is why I identify as "queer".  I am different.  I am asexual.
 Permalink Reply by Sentient Biped 1 hour ago

I have been repeatedly lectured, "gay" refers only to gay men.  Many times, over decades.  When Ellen Degeneres came out with the headline "Yep, I'm gay" it was interesting to see.   The alphabet of LGBTQI and more is both divisive and inclusive.  Scott Lively and his ilk don't give a fuck - they hate us all.
 Permalink Reply by Grinning Cat 1 hour ago

In general, I'll call people what they prefer to be called. (As long as it doesn't imply an untruth or a false relationship, such as "Master" or "Mistress"!)
The subtext of "gay" that homosexual people can and should be happy about their orientation is a good one!
Having not been personally hurt by "queer", I too use it as an umbrella term for everyone who doesn't fit into the two conventional boxes of straight cisgender woman or straight cisgender man. (I'd prefer a broad term that doesn't stress difference from a "norm"... or, in a longer view, a world where all of this diversity is seen as unremarkably as hair color!)
In "LGBTQrstuv: Bisexuality & Transgender", John Corvino points out that "some of us in coming out as gay people weren't ready to say we were gay, so we said we were bisexual as a way of kind of dipping our toe in the water .... It should go without saying that there are genuine bisexuals in the world." (That's not as visible as it should be, because it's easy to make a monosexual assumption based on the genders of a person and their partner.) There are also people who, in various ways, don't identify with the common gender binary.
 Permalink Reply by k.h. ky 1 hour ago
Flying Atheist, I'm a firm believer that the ones who protest to much have a problem with their own sexual identity.
 Why else would they give a flying fuck what consenting adults do.

 Permalink Reply by Sentient Biped 1 hour ago

It's hard not to psychologize assholes like him.  I have no idea what his life was like growing up.  Maybe he was sexually abused.  I have seen one or two  others among the "professional homophobe activist" camp who reported childhood abuse.  The infamous homophobe-obsessed atheist rapper "Charlie Check'm" who trolled nexus under various identities until he was repeatedly banned, I think he reported having been abused.  I'm not certain about that.  But it's one tempting speculation  for the virulence of hatred.
 
True, there could be the repressed gay in him.  I doubt he would ever admit that.
 
Or he could just be seething with hate, no excuses needed.
 Permalink Reply by James M. Martin 3 hours ago

Devoutly to be wished, Susan Stanko! Congratulations. I am almost there. At 71, I have interest in sex beyond self pleasuring from time to time. Now, I am trying the old boy Freud trick of sublimating my sexuality into my writing. Seems to be a good way to tap the muse. Only lack of discipline has held me back in the past, but I am slowly mastering that, too.
 Permalink Reply by Susan Stanko 2 hours ago

I was born with my asexuality. :)
 Permalink Reply by Sentient Biped 1 hour ago

We are all part of a spectrum, and we all have our journeys in live.  The one thing I hope for everyone, is to be happy.
 Permalink Reply by The Flying Atheist 1 hour ago

Great statement, Daniel.  Ditto for me!
 Permalink Reply by Grinning Cat 1 hour ago

Hear, hear!





 


http://www.atheistnexus.org/forum/topics/xtian-music-star-now-out-lesbian-rips-scott-lively-a-new-one?groupUrl=gayatheists&xg_source=activity&groupId=2182797%3AGroup%3A31277&id=2182797%3ATopic%3A2460752&page=1#comments








Dear Readers,




I found this article about Vicky Beeching encouraging.  I'm glad that she stood up to the hatemonger, Scott Lively whose hatred of the LGBT community extends to wanting to annihilate this entire group of people.  I do find it somewhat sad that Vicky Beeching has chosen to live a of romantic and sexual repression, it is reminiscent of what Roman Catholic nuns do.  I wish that Vicky would find herself a girlfriend and lead her life in a more honest way. Even as a heterosexual woman, it seems that every time religious LGBT folk, even those who choose to acknowledge and accept their sexual or gender identity but choose not pursue and enter a romantically and sexually-active same gender relationship or go through a sex-change operation because of their chosen beliefs, they seem to be implying that there is something "wrong" with same-sex relationships or sex-change operations.  Vicky can do what she wants, I just still find it to be sad that she is willing to live her life alone, simply because of her chosen beliefs that she most likely has no good evidence for. I think it is even more irrational after becoming an atheist to hear people say that they refuse to enter a consensual relationship with another adult because it offends the feelings of a deity. Who is the act of gay sex hurting? How exactly is the act of gay sex doing actual damage to the deity? It doesn't make any sense, and I am a heterosexual married woman. It seems like this would either directly or indirectly lead the homophobic and sex-hating religious fundamentalists to justify their said homophobic and anti-sexual attitudes even more, especially their hatred of sexual relationships between persons of the same-sex. Think about it.


Sincerely,


B.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment