Thursday, July 17, 2014

AtheistNexus.org discussion on telling someone your an atheist







 






Tell Someone New You're An Atheist Day
Posted by matthew greenberg on June 29, 2014 at 8:04pm in Atheism
View Discussions
.




why hasn't this happened sooner?  much like the LGBT community, we have friends, coworkers, and family who don't know who we really are and that they know someone who doesn't believe in the supernatural.  once more people know that a person who they accept into their circle is a non-believer they won't judge atheists the way many currently do. 

let's make a commitment to inform one person every Monday that you're an atheist.  maybe on a national level, American Atheists or the Freedom from Religion Foundation could make it an annual day.  i'm thinking Darwin's birthday but i'm open.  and being open is the point.  there's little reason to hide anymore.  "the nones", of which we're a bigger part than tends to be reported, are up to 20% of the population in the U.S.  let's make sure people know they already accept atheists.  they just don't know it yet. 

on a community A/N level, let's make a club.  tell someone you know that doesn't know your beliefs that you're an atheist.  on a larger scale, let's reach out to national atheist groups and see if this isn't something that they would be interested in - a national Tell Someone New You're An Atheist Day!

what say you?  who's with me?






 Like 
3 members like this
.
Share Twitter

  

 

Views: 130

▶ Reply to This
..



Replies to This Discussion
 Permalink Reply by k.h. ky on June 29, 2014 at 11:32pm

I'm with you Matt but... the only person who doesn't know I'm atheist is the woman who cuts my hair.
 I can't lose her. Do you know how hard it is to get a good haircut here?

▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by booklover on June 30, 2014 at 8:29am

lol k.h., plus she has a scissors close to your head. ;)
▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by matthew greenberg on June 30, 2014 at 6:09pm

really?  good for you!  i know dozens and dozens who don't know.  and i'm open.  it's just, they have no reason to know one way or the other.  it's not like it's part of my introduction, lol. 
▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by Freethinker31 on July 6, 2014 at 5:51pm

I totally  agree Matt...It is a private  thing...why look for  trouble....
▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by Tom Sarbeck on June 30, 2014 at 2:01am

Gays and lesbians did it, and won over the opposition to same-sex marriage.
We can do it and ... damn, I was about to write "win election to office". Who in their right mind wants that?

Seriously, Matthew, a few hours ago I found myself in the company of a Republican I know and, during a long chat about the Party's future, said I'm not religious and don't want a political party pushing a religion on me.

▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by matthew greenberg on June 30, 2014 at 6:10pm

you said that or the Republican?
▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by Tom Sarbeck on June 30, 2014 at 8:32pm

A grammar checker I once had caught my l-o-n-g sentences. Now people who read my stuff have to do it.
I said it, and saw no sign of his disagreeing.

▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by Sentient Biped on June 30, 2014 at 9:22pm

Tom, the marriage equality fight is not over yet.  It will wind up in the Supreme Court, and based on today's rulings, I wouldn't take anything for granted.

However, your point is well taken.  The change over the past 5 years has been awe inspiring.  After about 50 years of struggle.
▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by Pat on June 30, 2014 at 7:57am

I would, except for one minor detail. Everyone who knows me already knows I'm an atheist.
▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by Tom Sarbeck on June 30, 2014 at 3:14pm

Then, Pat, tell people who don't know you. They will remember you.
▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by Pat on June 30, 2014 at 6:36pm

Honestly. Not a bad idea! I'll do it.
▶ Reply

 Permalink Reply by sk8eycat 4 hours ago

Yeah....everyone who knows me at all knows I'm an atheist.  So I tell the Moron missionaries...just before I tell them to leave me the eff alone, and slam the door.
My JW sister gets all weird when I do that, but she knows what I think of ALL doorbell-ringers with buybulls in their hands.  And she has not gone out "in service" in more than a year, anyway.  I wonder if she's creeping away from them...she was absolutely glued to the TV when the new "Cosmos" was on.  And had nothing at all derogatory to say about any of it.  (She did NOT watch the original version, but I taped it....)
Do you suppose she's actually thinking?
▶ Reply



                
http://www.atheistnexus.org/forum/topics/tell-someone-new-you-re-an-atheist-day?xg_source=activity&id=2182797%3ATopic%3A2440317&page=1#comments




Sk8ey Cat's autistic JW sister acts weird when Sk8ey Cat slams the door on LDS missionaries faces,  that is not very surprising. That happens to the JW's as well.  She hasn't gone out on field service in over a year, I bet you that the elders at her Kingdom Hall don't like that. She watches "Cosmos".  Is she questioning her beliefs who knows, if not, she most likely rejects scientific concepts that don't support her chosen religious views.

No comments:

Post a Comment