Monday, May 25, 2015

My reply to people on Canadian Jehovah's Witness model Coco Rocha


Jess, Harrogate, 2 years ago
 There are mad wittnesses and normal ones and mad Catholics and normal ones ect ect ..... But to knock on people's door all weather for years on end I would assume takes courage especially if they meet people like whom have commented on here ! I'm sure they don't start there morning discussing how to annoy people We are all busy but what if there was something in what they preach ? Wouldn't we regret not listening ? And havnt we all got better things to do than make comments like these it's not positive and surely makes us more sad than the wittnesses When ever I've heard them at my door they have spoke about a time when there's no wars crime ect and people are tollerent of each other That would make the world a better place in my book

Dee, Surrey, UK, 2 years ago
 She's beautiful. Good for her for sticking to what she believes! Especially since she works in a business full of temptation. Whether you think her religion is a load of old tosh or not, you've got to appreciate her backbone and dedication.

american girl, dallas tx, 2 years ago
 Good for her....I do not know enough about Jehovah's Witness to comment but I hope she can remain strong in her faith in the world of modeling that exposes her to a lot of temptation.....and may she be a positive influence on lives within that world.....


niik, accra, Ghana, 2 years ago
 In such a materialistic industry , l wonder how she could cope with the pressures from such industry as modelling.The pressure to be manipulated and to be used to make money at all cost without conscience. As against what her JW faith stands for: Putting God's kingdom interest first, in imitation of what Christ did (Mathew 6:33). Hope and prays she keeps a balance. But l would love to see her as a fashion designer one day, because that would give her more independence and freedom of choice.

Susie, Florida, 2 years ago
 Wow. These nasty comments are shocking. Why such hatred against something you know nothing about. The Jehovah Witness faith is a true Christian religion based 100 % on the Bible. Sharing knowledge of the Bible is loving and kind. Unfortunately it is this kind of religious hatred that has caused death and wars for generations. I am glad she can speak out from her platform as model to defend her sacred beliefs.

Jenkyl, Newcastle, United States, 2 years ago
 She's a Jehovah's Witness, and that is a good thing. Because of how she thinks about life, she is able to realize you don't have to be a sheep like the rest of the models and become the societal equivalent of an anti-religionist. I respect your desire to 'knock on doors' (knowing it is as much figurative as literal) and applaud you for that. Do not get discouraged by those who don't want to talk to you, though...and there will be many. Especially, don't take any no-mind about the people represented by the overweening majority of commenters, who gladly show their lack of tolerant behaviour, little to no values, and all round disgusting attitude towards others. Congrats, Coco, even though you are Canuckian. :-)


 Desmond Barry, Phoenix, 2 years ago
 I'm not a Jehovahs witness, but I do know a lot about their religion, and I admire the fact that along with all the other persecuted people in the world war two they were the only, christians thrown into the consentration camps because they refused to do the Heil Hitler Nazi salute, before you ridicule them take the time to learn about their religion, then make up you minds


 dorrina, Syracuse, New York, 2 years ago
 Watch tower material is written and made by Jehovah's witnesses. Choke on that.

Mark, Donegal, Ireland, 2 years ago
 Jehovah's Witnesses are taught to not think for themselves. Everything they believe is fed to them by the Watchtower Society. Try asking them to identify just one personal religious belief of theirs that differs from the Watchtower line. They won't be able to answer for fear of being kicked out of the religion. But they will never actually admit this to strangers at the door. What a stupid comment..of course they don't all have a different "personal belief" and that to me is something they should be commended for. Surely if there is a God then there can only be one logical set of doctrine..if everyone in any religion believes something completely different based on nothing more than their own personal preferences, then logically 99/100 have to be wrong! I am not saying JW's are right..but your reasoning smacks of nothing more than bigotry with no logical reasoning.





Mark,


Not having a different personal belief is "commendable" to you? People have the right to disagree with one another, if there is a god, you say that "there can only be one logical set of doctrine", if there was a god; that could be true, but no one knows if there is a god, if any religious group had members that believed in something completely different based on nothing more than their own personal preferences, sure it would be logical that 99 out of 100 % percent have a change of being wrong. But, I think to express a different an opinion, then deciding to leave the group because you no longer agree with it and the idea of having to lose your relationship with your loved ones because of your  religious differences is not acceptable to me, no matter how you try to justify it.  JW's do shun former members and aren't really supposed to associate with them. Whereas some non-JW's and ex-JW's say some very unkind things about JW's, some JW's do the same thing in regards to non-JW's and ex-JW's. Some of the JW's negative views of non-JW's and ex-JW's do tend to be stereotypical, if you look closely enough to notice them, they may not always mean to, but I think that it does happen and that's not okay, just like stereotyping all Witnesses is not okay.  Not every non-JW or ex-JW is a hedonist with no moral values whatsoever, not all JW's are moral people, some engage in criminal behavior despite their beliefs, but most JW's don't do that and I am glad of that.   Most JW's are good people, even if I disagree with some of their beliefs on the Bible and morality.  Mark says that another commenter's reasoning smacks of bigotry with no logical reasoning, I don't entirely agree. 


I think that what the man was implying was that JW's are not encouraged to doubt or question their beliefs once they are baptized as a member of the Organization. That is true and you could get punished for looking at information that is not written by the Watchtower Society and I do see a problem with not being able to look at information that is created by someone outside of your religious community.  I think you should be able to research topics from different viewpoints from people who are not members of your religious community and not merely stick to the information about whatever topic that your religious group is providing for you about that topic.  It is better to look at things from as many different viewpoints as possible, even if they make us uncomfortable. Unfortunately, the Watchtower Society doesn't encourage that and it is a shame because I think it is useful and helps to keep you as unbiased and balanced as possible. Anyways, that is just my take on it.






Coco Rocha

 Sticking to the rules: Ms Rocha previously explained that she's 'a Christian first and a model second' and on modelling jobs she refuses to pose nude or semi-nude in lingerie or swimwear



To ensure that each job complies with her religious beliefs she has created a thorough checklist.
 'No religious artifacts, no government artifacts. If I’m shooting with a male model, what is he exactly doing with me?
 'What is he wearing? If I’m working with other models, what are they wearing? Are they playing something that I don’t want?,'
she described.


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2263340/Supermodel-Coco-Rocha-opens-life-devout-Jehovahs-Witness--preaches-door-door.html#comments






I think that Coco does seem to bash the modeling industry a bit too much, as for not wanting to work with other models because of what they where or what they play, that isn't an option that Coco will always be able to be exempt from because of her chosen religious beliefs. Sometimes we have to work with other people who we don't much care for or who do things that we don't like.   I am glad that Coco sticks to her own values and tries not to be judgmental towards others who may live differently than her. Too many JW's and too many other religious people won't work with people who don't believe all of the same things as them and that is a form of intolerance.  I do think that if the modeling community conflicts with Rocha's beliefs too much that she should probably find another profession that is more compatible with her beliefs.




JMH, Philadelphia, United States, 2 years ago
 @Navytown, why would you be a part of Any religion or organization if you don't completely agree with it's values, principles and teachings in their entirety? Otherwise, just don't be a part of it.... Your reasoning seems to be askew. If you feel that you don't agree with some of the teachings of your particular religion, perhaps you should find a new one as it doesn't make sense to say you're a part of something that you are also against.



 For Real, Wichita, United States, 2 years ago
 To respond to Yep Yep, comment, if they were Jehovah's Witnesses they wouldnt be wishing you merry Christmas, Therefore you need to slap yourself..Just say merry Christmas to whoever and keep moving it ain't that serious.



 Jehovah's Witnesses are taught to not think for themselves. Everything they believe is fed to them by the Watchtower Society. Try asking them to identify just one personal religious belief of theirs that differs from the Watchtower line. They won't be able to answer for fear of being kicked out of the religion. But they will never actually admit this to strangers at the door.
YepYep, USA, 2 years ago
 Her values are truly commendable. But I've always thought that if your religion needs marketing and hard sells, than you are missing the whole point. If you're religion is so great, they will come to you. We are not medieval times anymore where the majority of us have no access to other opinions....we live in the internet age, we can all look into it if we want. It's intrusive and rude to come knock on my door at dinner time and try and "sell" me on your spin. And if I hear one more tell me "Merry Christmas" I'm going to have to go off on them, because they are not allowed to celebrate xmas therefore don't "stoop" to my level to try and gain common ground with me. You don't even know what a merry xmas is, so don't use that please. It's....smarmy.

Paul, lansdale, United States, 2 years ago
 the problem is some witnesses are so obnouxious in their belief they make themselves unwelcome. in college two ladies tried to force their way into my apartment building and my wife worked with one who demanded no one in the department have holiday decorations up because it was an offense to her! connversely 3 years ago i worked with a very pleasant woman who was a witness and she was quite capable of having normal conversatinos and existances all the while she did the door to door ministries etc.so it's not the faith alone that give them the reputation. If more were liek my friend lydia, they wouldn't be given a second look.

RBLs1, Breda, Netherlands, 2 years ago
 what we do is not marketing, is not because the Watchtower Society demands it from us! and we may come across as pushy in the eyes of most, but there's a difference between pushy and persistence, It is easy to ridicule what you don't know, and assume only on what you vaguely see. ever thought of trying to know us first and what we really belief in, instead of what you think and here we belief? hate us at least with reason not because our work of faith annoys you! cause if it's only because of that! daily life must hit you hard!! to all of you who have a bible! start by looking at Mar 16:15 "And he said to them: ¿Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation" this is why we do it!

Remmie, Baltimore, 2 years ago
 Although I do not agree with the doctrinal beliefs (non-Biblical) of Jehovah's Witnesses, every Wtiness I have ever encountered, including a student of mine I was VERY fond of, have been LOVELY people! My student gave me her WatchTower magazine and I accepted it. I have had Witnesses come to my door, and they have been polite, kind and dedicated! No offense taken!! I don't believe a word they say, but I am not offended! They are good people. We can respectfuly disagree.


Azulle, San Diego, United States, 2 years ago
 To each his own I suppose. But they are beyond "pushy". - Robin , Raleigh North Carolina, United States, 16/1/2013 16:48 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++I second that! I am glad she sticks up for herself but as far as Jehovah's Witnesses are concerned... they are a pushy lot. I have a "No Solicitors" sign on my door, and they still showed up at my home 7 times last year. I finally decided to be blunt and rude and tell them that I was atheist (which I am not) and that I thought they were wackadoos. I hated being rude and lying but they just wouldn't take NO for an answer. o_O


Angell1970, Fife, Scotland, 2 years ago
 I'm an atheist - but good on the girl for sticking to her views. This is not the forum for criticising others' beliefs, people! My great-aunt sadly died this week. She came from a Catholic family, but became JW in her 20s/30s, she never forced her family to take on her faith, and it sustained her through many hard times. Her funeral is next week, my first JW funeral, don't know what to expect, but it's her wish and that's what matters. Don't be so quick to criticise, folks.





 GK34, Market Harborough, 2 years ago
 Remmie - I respectfully disagree with YOU. I have known Jehovahs Witnesses to deliberately target the recently bereaved in their most desperate times. My poor mum lost her faith entirely after 18 months of their indoctrination, during which time they came out with such gems as my dying gran had been visited by the Devil in her last days. Anyway, a know-nothing 22 year old probably couldn't talk me out of a burning car, let alone to commit to a deity!




 S80, Jackson, United States, 2 years ago
 My my such hatred. It's very sad to hear all of you. You truly show what kind of world it is we live in today.




 southern girl, memphis, 2 years ago
 IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT A CATHOLIC BELIEVES THEN ASK A CATHOLIC ,IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT JW'S BELIEVE THEN ASK THEM .ALOT OF WHAT IS WRITTEN NEGATIVE IS NOT TRUE ,I KNOW MANY JW'S AND THEY ARE GOOD PEOPLE ,ALL WALKS OF LIFE ,SOME ARE DR'S ,NURSES ,LAWYERS .HOUSEWIFES ETC...WHY SPEAK HATEFUL



cat7m, here, United States, 2 years ago
 I know some Jehovah's Witnesses very well and they are the most decent, honest, God-fearing, and nicest people I've ever known. Kudos to Coco for standing strong in her faith!



cat7m, here, United States, 2 years ago
 I think people on here are mistaking "pushiness" for zeal. JWs are sharing the Good News about how God's Kingdom is going to bring an end to all the problems mankind faces. They are not at your door to "push" their religion on you. They have good news to share about the Bible's message. If any of you haters just took the time to speak with them instead of "assuming" things about them, I think you'd find that they are just preaching the same message that Jesus and his disciples did. I bet if Jesus were on earth today and knocked on your door (he DID preach house-to-house, you know) you would even think he was "pushy" too.


Andria, Yorkshire, United Kingdom, 2 years ago
 Though I'm not in any way religious - good for her. She has morals and principles that are specific to her lifestyle and she's stuck with them.



 Paul, lansdale, United States, 2 years ago
 the problem is some witnesses are so obnouxious in their belief they make themselves unwelcome. in college two ladies tried to force their way into my apartment building and my wife worked with one who demanded no one in the department have holiday decorations up because it was an offense to her! connversely 3 years ago i worked with a very pleasant woman who was a witness and she was quite capable of having normal conversatinos and existances all the while she did the door to door ministries etc.so it's not the faith alone that give them the reputation. If more were liek my friend lydia, they wouldn't be given a second look.




 Robin, Raleigh North Carolina, United States, 2 years ago
 To each his own I suppose. But they are beyond "pushy".


Jillian B, Omaha USA, 2 years ago
 I'm probably going to get red arrowed for this , fine ,but I do not like Coco Rocha at all. She seems really smart but she always comes across as an arrogant hypocrite. She was quoted in an article bout a year ago about how she thinks models are way too skinny and the fashion industry needs to do something about it, yet she just moans about but still participates . She is stick thin like the rest of them. She talks the talk but does not walk the walk. Same with this Christian stuff she is talking about , I respect her beliefs , but why is she still in the fashion industry ? She's is always talking about how negative it is etc.. basically she belittles her profession all the time. Quit it if you think their not on par with you beliefs , that is why I don't like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment