Sunday, March 29, 2015

My thoughts on the "A.D." miniseries

The "History" Channel is following their miniseries "The Bible" with another miniseries entitled "A.D." which deals with the life and death of Jesus of Nazareth.  The program was being marketed  in the television about Jesus' life being the "greatest story ever told".  I bet you that very little, if any of the miniseries is based on scholarly research about the historical Jesus or the early Christian church that was done by and is supported by Biblical scholars and historians with verifiable credentials whose work has been peer-reviewed.  I hardly think that Jesus' life was "the greatest story ever told".  I've heard stories that I think are much better candidates for that position.  The miniseries might be visually impressive, but I doubt that it will have a whole lot of artistic merit.  I wonder if it will rip off Mel Gibson's controversial religiously-themed blockbuster film from 2004 "The Passion of the Christ" or "The Greatest Story Ever Told", maybe it will have some similarities to "Jesus Christ Superstar" which I have always loved.  I doubt that it will be like Disney's " The Gospel of John".   That gospel portrays Jesus much differently than the other three canonical gospels.  I'm quite sure that it won't be like "Ben-Hur".  I just hope that the History Channel won't promote the film as being "historically accurate" because I highly doubt that it is going to be.




 




I wonder what professional Biblical scholars and historians with said verifiable credentials whose work has been peer-reviewed are going to say about it?  The History Channel plays too much pseudo-historical junk that seems to only appeal to conspiracy theorists.  I think that this channel as lost so much of their credibility.  Its a shame. What do you think?


Sincerely,


B.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment