Saturday, March 14, 2015

Another Liberty University ad

Liberty University

Study Online So You Can Spend Time With Her.

Learn More >








I think that the ad implies that while your trying to force yourself to obey the unquestionable dictates of you religion, while you also make sure that your child holds to the same religious beliefs that you do without letting them decide for themselves what they want to believe or what they don't want to believe.  It's not uncommon for children to lose their relationship with their parents or legal guardian when they reach adulthood if the child no longer subscribes to the same religious views as their parents or legal guardian.  Consider the experiences of ex-Jehovah's Witnesses or ex-members of the Amish community who have been shunned and ostracized by their loved ones who are still members of those denominations.  Being an ex-JW, I still have a relationship with my JW relatives who I got along with, but I could care less if I had a relationship with my mother as we have never really gotten along.






  I am NOT saying that the ad encourages shunning over religious differences, but the ad did make this question come to my mind because incidents like that do occur. How can any adult call themselves a "parent" if they are willing to shun their own children over religious issues?  I have never understood that.  It is not a justifiable excuse in my opinion.  If anything, it makes you look insecure in your beliefs, makes you look selfish and immature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment