Saturday, November 16, 2013

AtheistNexus blog post on arguing with family



Arguing with Family
Posted by SnowyEmerald on November 15, 2013 at 10:54am

.

A few months ago my cousin - a highly religious girl - posted a status stating that she is extremely disappointed that she won't be enrolling her future unborn son in to boy scouts.
 Why? Because they allow gay children in.
 Naturally, I debated with her, in which her mother joined in, talking about how homosexual actions are a "sin against god."
 I then pointed out many other "sins" against god (i.e: eating pork, or wearing clothing of two separate fabrics, etc. etc.)

 My aunt's response? "It doesn't matter; to sin is to sin."
 I...I don't even understand what she was attempting to argue...But she then went on to talk about how we get our morals from god, from the bible, asking where I get my morals from if I support gay rights so strongly (they don't know I'm atheist).
 My father joined in then. Though he is my aunt's brother, and is Christian and doesn't know of my lifestyle choice either, he instantly stepped in to say "she get's them from me" and went on to say that he raised me right, that he supports me, is proud that I stood my ground, and that my sense of moral should never be questioned.
 The moral of this story? Always support your children. If you must place your faith in anything, place it in your children, and how you raised them. Be proud if they stand their ground, and have their back if someone is knocking against them. Even if you don't agree with their opinion (which thankfully, my father does) you do everything you can to help them stand for what they believe in.
 
.
  Comment by Dyslexic's DOG 9 minutes ago

I agree entirely.  I am certainly proud of my children and support their views, even though they often disagree with me, though I consider that since they are well educated and up with the information age, they are more knowledgeable than I on many matters.
Though on the Gay side of things, there is much scientific evidence that they did not choose to be gay, they were born that way.  A couple of brain structures are the same for Gay men as they are for heterosexual women, which differs from that of heterosexual men.
Other physical structures, from birth, demonstrate that most homosexuals were definitely born that way, so since Christianity considers "Original Sin" as all humans are born sinners, then homosexuals are no different and no bigger sinners than everybody else in their doctrines.
Same goes for those seeking sex changes or transexuality is also natural.
Science has now proven that some people are born with the Wrong Body.
Somewhere when the fetus was forming, things went astray and some who had an IPL image of a woman (their real gender) ended up with a male body instead.  Common proof of this is that when they have corrective surgery (penis removed) these patients never have phantom erections, where normal men who have had their penises removed (like from cancer) do get phantom erections.  Proving that their brains haven't got normal connections or no connection at all to their penises that weren't meant to be there in the first place.

Just thought I'd arm you with a bit of information, as to argue using scientific knowledge allows you to support homosexuality and transexuality without exposing any of your atheism.
I use science this way all the time, as I have extremely religious clients, who when they ask me why I am not with them in deriding gays or even abortion, I turn to science and since they are as scientifically literate as door stops, they just nod their heads and agree.  LOL






http://www.atheistnexus.org/profiles/blog/show?id=2182797%3ABlogPost%3A2330277&commentId=2182797%3AComment%3A2330775&xg_source=activity










1 comment:

  1. Well, this cousin is a bigot for not wanting to enroll her future
    son into the Boys Scouts because they allow LGBT kids. His aunt
    claims homosexual actions aka homosexual sex are a 'sin' against her god.
    I don't believe that homosexual actions are a 'sin' against her god. When
    SnowyEmerald comcapred other 'sins' that 'go against' Yahweh like
    eating pork or wearing blended fabrics. His aunt said that it 'didn't matter'
    and that 'to sin is to sin'. I disagree. It does matter and 'to sin' is not 'to sin'.
    Having gay sex is not a 'sin'. To her it may be although I think she is
    wrong on that issue. I don't believe there is such a thing as 'sin'.
    She claimed to get her 'morals' from her god
    and from the Bible. Yeah right. She doesn't get her morals from the Bible
    or her god. She asked where Snowy gets her
    morals from if she supports gay rights so strongly. They don't know
    Snowy is an atheist.

    ReplyDelete