Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Some interesting AtheistNexus.org comments




.
 Comment by sk8eycat on November 12, 2014 at 3:45pm
My JW sister will be 70 on Nov. 20.
I hit 75 2 weeks ago, and went into a deep depression for a few weeks....just getting over it. (I whined and carried on in here, so everyone posted me some Burfday Kittehs!)


http://www.atheistnexus.org/group/hangwithfriends?groupUrl=hangwithfriends&id=2182797%3AGroup%3A1248185&page=9#comments




sk8eycat's JW sister is almost 70 and Armageddon still isn't here yet?




It’s Official: Mormon Founder Had Up to 40 Wives
"Mormon leaders have acknowledged for the first time that the church’s founder and prophet, Joseph Smith, portrayed in church materials as a loyal partner to his loving spouse Emma, took as many as 40 wives, some already married and one only 14 years old."
One of the excuses the apologetics recite is that he didn't consummate all his marriages. What? Does that have anything to do with marriages? If he was married and had other wives, did he or did he not consummate one or more of his marriages? If he was marriage and "married" a 14 year old, does it matter that he consummated the marriage or not?
No matter how you define marriage, it seems like a lot of baloney to me. Just plain old wheedling. In other words, bull shit.


http://www.atheistnexus.org/group/hangwithfriends?groupUrl=hangwithfriends&id=2182797%3AGroup%3A1248185&page=11#comments


I think it's pretty well-known that Joseph Smith was a polygamist.


.
 Comment by Bertold Brautigan on November 11, 2014 at 10:23am
Perfect, Mindy. People need to realize that "moderate Christian" and "moderate Muslim" are oxymorons.




http://www.atheistnexus.org/group/hangwithfriends?groupUrl=hangwithfriends&id=2182797%3AGroup%3A1248185&page=11#comments




I don't think that being a moderate Christian or Muslim is an oxymoron anymore than be a conservative atheist is an oxymoron. Even though I do think that conservative atheists generally are not very open-minded and can sometimes be just a prejudiced, ignorant and self-righteous as some religious people are. Religion doesn't exclusively belong to the fundamentalist any more than atheism belongs to fanatical dictators like Joseph Stalin or Pol Pot.


Photocaption reads:
I'm a moderate Christian.  I don't support hate, violence or discrimination.  I simply
devote my life to supporting a book that supports hate, violence and
discrimination.







I think that moderate Christians generally don't view the hate, violence and discrimination of the Bible as being appropriate in 21st century culture and that those Biblical passages are more specific to their own cultural eras. That's how I view it.

No comments:

Post a Comment