Saturday, June 28, 2014

Women and their worries over their physical features

Dear Readers,




Really quick. I read a fascinating article on AtheistNexus.org about female celebrities and hair care.  The blog post mentioned about the issues that Britney Spears has with her air and that  Naomi Campbell  has lost a lot of her hair. Coincidentally, Naomi Campbell is also a Jehovah's Witness, although I don't think she was officially baptized into the denomination or goes door-to-door to proselytize to people. The ex-JW forum on Yuku . com had a picture of Campbell dressed in a very "sexy and appealing" angel costume during a stage skit at a JW convention.  See if you can find it.  I'm surprised the WBTS didn't consider her costume to be "too worldly".  Well, the Governing Body has to be careful on how they treat JW "celebrities", you know.  I imagine that Campbell, like Lark Voorhies (  she starred in the television sitcom "Saved by the Bell"), Katherine Jackson ( mother of Michael, LaToya and Janet Jackson and the other four brothers in the Jackson 5),  Larry Graham ( lead singer of Sly and the Family Stone), Prince ( famed singer. He and Katherine Jackson as well as well as , Graham, Lark Voorhies and the Williams family seem quite hypocritical to me and have lost quite a few screws), Oracene Price ( mother of the Williams sisters and  tennis coach to her daughters), Serena and Venus Williams ( the famed professional tennis-playing sisters) make large financial donations to their Kingdom Halls.




If the Governing Body made negative remarks towards these people, it would make "Jehovah's organization look bad" to the public. I do feel sorry for Campbell over her losing so much of her hair, she is very pretty, even if I don't share her religious beliefs. Keep in mind, I am an ex-Jehovah's Witness, despite not having believed much of it, I spent the first 22 years of my life in that culture. Women , coincidentally are basically to be submissive to JW men, that's the rule. Non-JW women are basically lustful and promiscuous "pawns of Satan" who want to seduce the "brothers" to engage in "sinful" behavior and lead them away from the path of "truth". As if JW women don't seduce JW men. Unlike a lot of women my age, at 60-years old, I don't even have one gray hair on my head.  I have always taken pretty good care of myself ( despite having an enormous sweet tooth), I have had people ask me if I just graduated from college.  Women in my family tend to age quite slowly.  I don't think that my physical features have really changes since I was 22. African-American women tend to be more insecure to me, concerning their physical features. Look at all these young colored girls trying to "bleach" their skin to try and look more white.  I think in society we portray women in general as being  worth nothing if they do not constantly look attractive 24/7.  This is especially true for women of color.




It's alright for a woman to want to feel and look beautiful, but shouldn't you want to feel and look that way for yourself, first and foremost, instead of trying to please everyone else? Not everyone finds Angelina Jolie ( also an atheist) attractive. Not everyone in the world would find me attractive, many people actually do find me attractive, if not most that know me, but does that mean that everyone will? No.  Personality is more important than ones physical features.   I think insecurity and discomfort over looks has to do with patriarchy. But, even men are expected to portray themselves as being entirely masculine or else he is viewed as nothing.  Gender isn't black-and-white as I have said before.  A lot of women have a masculine side and a lot of men have a feminine side, I see nothing wrong with that.  Women today, often want to dye their hair, cake themselves in make-up, wearing more than a cake has frosting and dress in whatever is fashionable.  Heterosexual woman do this to gain the attention of straight men and this seems to put them in "competition" with other women. Women are harsh critics of each other.  We need to better to become comfortable with ourselves.


Sincerely,


B.W.





No comments:

Post a Comment